We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Gluten Free Low Carb Meatballs
Doesn’t everyone love spaghetti and meatballs? It is a simple and quick meal that is cheap and filling.
Most store bought pasta and sauce contain some undesirable ingredients like added sugar and processed, genetically modified wheat. Besides that, we needed a gluten free, low carb meatball option so the whole family could eat it.
We made our own sauce which was surprisingly easy and we swapped the traditional pasta our of spaghetti squash.
Spaghetti squash has lots of vitamin A, vitamin C, manganese, fiber, and is lower in carb. It looks a lot like spaghetti and tastes awesome! It is a also great way to get in more of your daily servings of fruits and vegetables.
Lastly, making your own meatballs instead of buying the premade ones saves you from added preservatives. They are also easy and fun to make!
We have seen a few recipes using spaghetti squash for spaghetti and meatballs. But, most of the recipes that we found made the spaghetti sauce in a pot that you would have to stir frequently and keep an eye on.
That was something we do not have time for. Our evenings are typically very busy with scheduled events, classes, and of course, we want time to workout.
The Process of Making “Spaghetti” and GF Low Carb Meatballs
To start, we always put the spaghetti squash in the oven while we make the sauce. The sauce only takes about 5 minutes to make and the rest is left to the crock pot.
When the squash is done and cool, we take a fork and shred the squash into strands, put it in a bowl, and stick it in the fridge.
Then, we assemble the meatballs. The meatballs are super quick as well. It only takes about 10 minutes to make then about 15 minutes to cook. Once those are done, we throw them into the crockpot with the sauce.
After a busy day, it is nice to come home to an already prepared meal. Just grab the spaghetti squash, put on the sauce and meatballs, and a delicious meal is ready! There will definitely be enough to stick in the fridge for tomorrow’s lunch or dinner! It tastes just as good the next day!
If you like these low carb meatballs with spaghetti squash, you may want to try another twist on an old classic. We recently tried was cauliflower mac and cheese which was also gluten and dairy free and good!
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds
- Place the squash on a baking sheet and bake for 50 minutes
- Let the spaghetti squash cool
- Once cool, scrape out the squash into strands using a fork
- Put all the tomato sauce ingredients into the crock pot and cook on low for 3-5 hours
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Combine the ground beef, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, egg, and flaxseed in a bowl
- Form into 32 meatballs (approximately 2" diameter) and place them into the oven for 12-15 minutes
- Once they are done baking, place the meatballs into the crock pot with the sauce
- Place about a cup of the spaghetti squash into individual bowls and top with the tomato sauce, meatballs, and any other optional toppings
Nutritional info for 1 cup spaghetti squash, 1/3 cup sauce, 3 meatballs: calories: 251 fat: 11.5 Sat. Fat: 4 Carbs: 18 Fiber: 5 Sugar: 9 Protein: 21