We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Elimination Diet Recipes can be difficult to come by. These are very tasty recipes. In addition they are also low carb recipes so you can discover your food sensitivities without starving or depriving yourself of good food.
Although the eating plan seems ominous, it can be well worth it!
If you are suffering from random symptoms that the doctor can't explain, it may be worth a try.
What if your migraines are triggered by a food you never suspected? I actually know a lady who recently found out hers were from avocado by keeping a detailed food and symptom log.
Really? ...Avocado? ...Now I assumed those were so healthy and benign. Well, obviously not for her!
For me, it was nightshades, gluten, and dairy! Yup that just stunk.
I'm happy to say I can indulge from time to time now (with the exception of gluten), without much trouble. I got tested and was positive for celiac disease so no more gluten for me.
With that said, if I eat too much of the above foods, or eat them too often, I run into trouble. You will see why as you read on.
Overall, in case you're wondering why I even bothered to write about this, well, it's because this truly is the most accurate and the cheapest way to find out which foods bug you.
So What's it all About?
With this method, you eliminate all of your individual suspect foods completely for 3 to 4 weeks. That is to say, if you think dairy and chocolate are causing you to be sick, then start there. Everyone is different!
The theory is that it takes that much time for your body to start healing and to start to cool down the inflammatory response. Then you add the foods in, one at a time at least three times a day.
You need to be taking note of any symptoms that appear or reappear. If you have symptoms from that food, then it is a positive result. You are sensitive to that food and should avoid it.
You wait for the reaction to dissipate completely before trying to add another food back in.
Don't worry! We got you covered with some low carb recipes and tasty recipes for meal ideas. So, when you'r ready, you can jump right in.
Just make sure you look at the ingredients and substitute if needed to meet your own personal needs.
Which foods may someone eliminate with this method?
Some doctors recommend starting with a version of the following list. because they tend to be the most common foods or additives causing people trouble.
- Aspartame/Artificial sweeteners
- Artificial colors and dyes
As you can imagine, eliminating all of these foods at once is really hard. If you are not 100% compliant, then your results may not be reliable. This is mighty tough to do with all the possible cross contamination out there.
I actually found it so hard that I first did a food log to narrow it down to a few items and then gave those few up cold turkey, 100% for 4 weeks. It's all up to you. This is an experiment that hopefully helps you feel better in the end.
You can find more guidance and elimination diet recipes below
If you want to know how to do your own elimination diet. Here is just one web site that gives a fairly detailed plan to follow. www.wholelifenutrition.net.
There are also several diagnostic options available of varying costs and accuracy, There are both blood and stool testing. These can be expensive and the accuracy is sometimes questionable.
The elimination diet is an accurate way to get a diagnosis but it takes a lot of work, discipline and organization. Initially it is very restrictive and you may be avoiding whole food groups.
Consider supplementation on a short term basis or making sure you add in something like almond milk with calcium and vitamin D when you are eliminating dairy.
Are you ready to be meticulous?
I hope so because to do this correctly, you have to be meticulous about logging your food intake and your symptoms.
Although we can become sensitive to almost anything, the following foods seem to be more common culprits; wheat, gluten, milk, egg, corn, soy, nightshades, aspartame, MSG, colors and dyes. Once you get your diagnosis, it is important to avoid the foods that cause you symptoms.
Be careful not to fall into the pattern (like I did) of eating the same things every day, no matter the season. Recall that overexposure to some foods can increase your chances of being sensitive to it. Refer to this previous article on why we get food sensitivities.
For me, I soon became sensitive to nuts because I was eating them several times in a day. A rotational and seasonal diet of mostly whole organic, anti-inflammatory foods has been very helpful in managing my own health.
Elimination Diet Recipes and Tasty Recipes
With a diagnosis of multiple food sensitivities comes a new lifestyle. This new lifestyle is managed with pre-planning, time management, smart grocery shopping, and doing more cooking and food prep at home.
You will be pleased to know that we did not starve when we did this; even with all the different food issues we are working around in our household.
In other posts on our blog, lettucethrive.com, we share money saving ideas, more low carb recipes that are adaptable to different food sensitivities, and other useful tips on incorporating this lifestyle into your busy schedules.
So without further adieu, I hope you find these ideas useful and that this list provides some assistance.
Elimination Diet Recipes and Tasty Recipes
Now, here are a few meal ideas and elimination diet recipes for you! Most of these are low carb recipes as well.
- Two eggs scrambled and cooked together with chopped onion, spinach, and organic turkey breast and berries on the side
- Paleo toast with organic
peanut butter and an Apple
- 2 Boiled eggs, organic bacon, half- banana
- Berrylicious omelet
- Peanut Butter Banana muffins
- Smoothie-be creative but watch out! Many smoothie recipes are loaded with sugar. Even natural fruit sugar can become too much
- Coconut flour pancakes
- Blueberry Muffins
Lunch Ideas-Tasty Recipes
- Chicken or turkey Lettuce wrap
- Left overs from dinner which sounds so basic but truly, this is a huge time saver!
- Gluten and Dairy Free Soup with paleo crackers
- Salad with boiled eggs, meat/ salmon, and seeds of your choice
- Burger in lettuce leaf bun
- Chicken tostada salad
- Stir fry with chicken and vegetables
Dinner Ideas-Tasty Recipes
- Bison steak with sweet potato, broccoli
- Chicken adobo (soy free)
- Fish with mango salsa
- Gluten and Diary Free Thai Chicken
- Spaghetti Squash "Spaghetti" and Gluten Free Meatballs
- Chicken Tenders Gluten Free (optional dairy free)
- Mexican Turkey Chili
- Dark Chocolate
- Avocado dip with celery/carrots
- Flavored Pumpkin Seeds are great!
- Any Paleo Bars, the brand we like is literally called, Paleo by Julian Bakery
- Trail mix
- Coconut crisps are sweet and crunchy and you can find them in almost any grocery store.
- Go raw snacks My favorite flavors are the ginger or chocolate. I would not go for the pizza one.
For more ideas on Prepping Meals, you can read this post. which is focused on saving money and time when trying to eat healthy for weight loss. Also, we have several other low carb recipes on our site.
- *Disclaimer Elimination Diet and Tasty Recipes/Low Carb Recipes: The information provided in this website is for informational purposes. It is based on my own personal experiences and opinions. I am not a medical doctor and what is written should not be used to diagnose or treat any disease or illness. The product links are not meant to be construed as medications or treatments and you should consult your doctor before taking any supplements, herbal products, or starting exercise programs
" width="720" height="1080" />